From:
Sheri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:10:06 -0500
Hi all--

I've been off-line for a couple of weeks ... I can't tell you how
disappointed and sad I am about Kodo's death.  He truly is "everybody's
ferret" ...

I think a National Ferret Organization is a good idea--but--how fast could
this organization be put together?  How many ferrets will die before a brand
new national orgaization is organized enough to be effective?  I think
pulling the smaller ferret orgs together--having existing interested parties
concentrate on legalization/quarentine policies--might be a faster way to
get the ball rolling.

And to individuals--start with YOUR STATE.  Yes.  I believe the opinions of
out of state persons carry far less weight with state governments than the
voices of residents.  Start writing letters to your own state legislators,
have your friends and family and people you run into with ferrets write
letters too.  Once you know your state policies, draw up a "cheat sheet"
with names and addresses of legislators and ask pet stores/breeders, etc.
to give them out when they sell ferrets and ask purchasers to write letters.
Put up a notice at the grocery store--"Are you owned by one or more ferrets?
If so, did you know that in our state a ferret that bites a human is
automatically put to death for rabies testing whether vaccinated or not?
YOU can help change this.  Contact me for addresses and get involved in a
letter-writing campaign so our pets are allowed quarentine before and
instead of execution." And put your number on little tabs at the bottom that
are easy for people to tear off.  (PLEASE check your state policy before
putting up such a notice).

We must all remember that we who receive the FML are a minority.  There are
thousands and thousands of ferret-owners out there who do not have internet
access or just haven't found us yet.  We need help from those people too.  I
was one of those people once, and sadly, meekly gave up my darling Smokey
for rabies testing because I did not know anything about rabies
symptoms--she was acting strange, and the little girl who got bit was and
still is a child dear to my heart.  But I wish I had had the FML then, so I
could have asked questions about rabies symptoms before giving Smokey up.
She tested negative, of course.

Do you personally know any of your state reps?  Does your family?  Can you
get a lunch date?  Do you live in your state's capital city?  Write letters,
make phone calls, know your state policy and talk to health departments.
Ask all the why's behind the policies.  If you can give factual info that
contradicts the health departments info, give it, with sources.

A national organization working on a state by state basis will be a big
heavy slow machine towards justice.  Start writing letters to your state
NOW.  Talk about Kodo.  Talk about rabies.  BUT DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST!

--Sheri