Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:44:00 -0400
Date: 6/11/97

MICHIGAN STATE PROSECUTORS SLAMMED
FOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO PUBLIC

STATE SUPREME COURT GRANTS STAY FIVE MINUTES BEFORE EXECUTION
But Kodo Lives As A Dead Ferret Walking

Saginaw, MICHIGAN - Robert Jacobs, owner of "death row" ferret Kodo, today
slammed county and state prosecutors who seek to kill his family's pet for
deliberately "misleading the public about why the state seeks to kill Kodo."
Jacobs provided evidence to support his assertion and to further expose the
government's "bloodthirsty" campaign to kill the pet.

Yesterday, the State Supreme Court -- with less than five minutes to go
before the execution -- ordered a temporary stay of execution for Kodo..

In response, County Corporate Counsel Marty Fitzhugh publicly stated and
called for a swift overturn of the appeal, falsely stating it is crucial
that the man bitten over 40 days ago find out whether the animal (Kodo) has
rabies, reported United Press International (6/10/97 16:12:01).

But the 71-year-old Canton, Michigan man who snagged his finger on Kodo's
tooth, Arne Ostlund, is not concerned at all and does not want Kodo to die
(see Bay City Times 5/25/97 p. 1).  Ostlund has even left for a vacation
around the world, and in a previous written document expressly stated that
he did not want to press charges and would release the county, state, and
all concerned parties from any responsibility.

"The prosecution is deliberately distorting this man's true feelings," said
Jacobs.  "The fact is, it is the county and state's ignorance and, I suspect,
the international embarrassment caused by their ridiculous actions which
have made them even more determined to kill our pet at all costs necessary.
This vindictive campaign is not being done on behalf of this gentleman.

"If you live in Michigan, then you should know that this is what you're
tax-dollars are buying you, " continued Jacobs.  "Our money is buying a
bloodthirsty campaign to take away a family's pet while convicted felons
walk our streets and our children can by drugs as easy as bubble gum.
"This is a complete abuse of power.  It's unconscionable, and it's an
international disgrace before the eyes of the entire world."

A copy of Ostlund's written statement can be obtained upon request from
contact persons.

EDITOR'S NOTE: PAST STORIES ON KODO THE FERRET CAN BE FOUND HERE ON BUSINESS
WIRE.     - 30 -