From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:29:36 -0400
Sarah Coe made the suggestion to always carry mace.  I would suggest that
pepper spray might be a better alternative.  It actually is more effective,
yet it is not as caustic to the eye tissue in the long run.

Also, keep in mind that many areas have laws making it illegal to carry mace
or pepper spray.  (Last I knew the entire State of NY prohibited either of
these, but this *might* have changed.) An alternative if you live in any of
these areas might be a squirt gun filled with ammonia.

Also, if you are ever in the same situation as Sarah was in, immediately call
animal control and make a complaint.  That was a completely uncalled for
incident.

-Mrs. Duck