From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:05:04 -0400
If your female ferret is 3 plus years old and is for the first time showing
episodes of an enlarged or swollen vulva, I would suggest you consider
taking her to a vet knowledgeable with adrenal disease.  The suggestion of
an ovarian remnant would be likely if the ferret had not gone thorough three
years with no symptoms.  Please have her checked and perhaps suggest a blood
test for aplastic anemia if this condition has been recurring for any time
at all.

I am suspicious about the cough which occurs at the same time as the swollen
vulva.  Could this perhaps be that the right adrenal is aggravating the
heart?  Perhaps your vet will have an answer.  Do not wait for the hair
loss, we have seen even a ferret with bi lateral adrenal disease who has not
lost any hair-- in fact had a beautiful show coat -- the only indicator was
the swollen vulva.  Perhaps with the cough symptom it would be wise for an
x-ray or ultrasound of the heart to rule out problematic surgery.

Good luck

Alicia
a shelter mom