Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:27:34 +0000
From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Lawrence J Updike writes:
>especially about trimming her claws.

Congratulations, Larry!  The easiest way for me to trim the tootsies on mine
is this: first thing, get a good nail clipper, I use the type made for
birds.  They are small and easy to handle.  Then I hold the ferret on their
back, like a baby and put a little flax oil or ferretone on their stomach.
While they are busy licking the oil off, I clip the toenails.  You can see
the blood in them, leave a little beyond that.  I trim mine once a month,
but it does depend on the ferret.  Also, I find the front nails grow much
faster than the back ones.

To Erin and Bandit:
You didn't say, but it sounds like your baby is just that, a baby.  The
nipping behavior will usually settle down once the ferret is older.  I will
scruff mine and say no.  Another technique is to grab the mouth when they
bite you by putting your thumb over their nose.  Hang on for a second then
let go.  They really don't like this.  As for the litter box, poke a couple
of holes in it and run nuts and bolts to the outside of the cage to hold it
in place.  Confining the ferret to the cage will usually improve litter box
habits.

Happy Ferretting!!

Margaret Marie and her Mid Missouri Mob