Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:16:16 -0500
From:
Rob McNish <[log in to unmask]>
My $.02 worth:

I agree with Bob C that we really do need a national organization.  Also
agree with Kim Burkard that no other organizations need be assimilated or
threatened.  I've been involved with a national re-creation group for more
years than I care to count and a couple of things come immediately to mind
for such an organization:

1) Keep focused.  Don't try to be all things to all people.  Leave
discussions of what color belongs in what class to others and stick with the
bigger issue, legalization.

2) Be educational.  Leave shows, breeding issues, etc.  to the local
associations, concentrate on educating the public about ferrets and their
owners.

3) Be political.  Ultimately, only political clout will free our pets.  Why
aren't dogs and cats subject to kill-and-test?  Because no politico or
public 'servant' would dare arouse the wrath of such large, politically
powerful groups.  As long as we as ferret owners are percieved as a lunatic
fringe minority, we and our pets are easy targets.

Lets keep discussing this, folks, we've got something important started
here!

Rob McNish and the Gang at McFerret Acres