Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:49:36 EDT
From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Re: Ferret Slogans
Someone an issue or three ago was looking for a slogan that describes
ferrets...like "Man's best friend" for dogs.  I personally think the
following two sum up ferrets for me:

        - Where there is a will there is a way.
        - Free spirits

I also think of them as Dirt Devils, Earth Sprites, and Wardancing Weasels!
Ferrets are fun-loving businessmen!  ;)

Re: Winter coat for the summer
To the person who has a fuzzy with a wintercoat: Your ferret is no weirder
then one of ours.  Even with the warmer and sunnier days that we've been
having she's gotten fatter and fluffier.  I call her my "little butterball"!
We've had others (usually when they were really young) get ready for winter
in the wrong season.  It's no problem other then you must make sure your
ferret doesn't overheat in the summer heat with all their extra fur and
fat. ;)

Re: A National Ferret Organization
I know there a number of different ferret organizations around, but I must
agree with Bob Church.  I think there has to be a national ferret ferret
organization - one that has some teeth (Pun intended of course!) and one
that appeals to the "average" ferret owner.  I figure that I'm a fairly
average ferret owner.  Or is that one who is owned by ferrets?!

Even though I have four ferrets and I'm amused by them as much as I love
them, I don't go to ferret shows, I don't breed ferrets, and I don't show
ferrets.  Our ferrets are part of the family and are treated as such.  While
we read about ferrets before getting our first, there was still much to
learn.  I originally joined the FML and much later a local ferret club
because I care about my ferrets and I wanted to learn so I could do the best
I could for them.  I was also just interested in ferret experiences.  They
are simply amazing creatures.  I would guess that *most* FML subscribers
aren't that much different in these respects.

I would in a moment support a national organization that did ferret PR, knew
and fought for/against laws regarding ferrets, published educational
materials/newsletters, provided for disaster and shelter assistance, and
helped with legal consul in ferret-related court cases.  I don't think that
any pre-existing organization need be absorbed or abolished with the
creation of such of group.  I think it could and would be in addition to all
the local and national groups that already exist.  The organization Bob
proposed could help to connect all the large and small groups into a
networked and cohesive community that has the power to do *whatever* needs
to be done.  In much the same way the FML has been a cohesive community of
individuals and individual organizations for years.

Re: St. Kodo
It was sad, though not totally unexpected, to see the note come in from Bill
this afternoon about Kodo.  Laws are just only when applied and upheld
evenly, fairly, and without bias.  The worst part about this whole
situation, other then another innocent ferret must die, is that the laws
were not applied evenly, fairly, and without bias to Kodo or his human
family.  Kodo and his kind are expected to live and die by laws arbitarily
not applied to other species.  That is not justice.

Because Kodo has or will be martyred, I think it's appropriate to canonize
Kodo to sainthood.  He can be the patron saint ferrets and the efforts to
make laws regarding ferrets fair and equitable.  (Obviously, Kodo represents
all those who's names we don't know which have and will meet a similar fate.)

I have this mental image of Kodo along side of St. Francis.  I suppose I
won't look at images of St. Francis the same any more.

-kim, squirt, pippi, atlas, and hijinx

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.