Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 22:01:05 -0700
From:
Paula A Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
FMLers,
Kodo's court date is tomorrow, May 22, at 9:00!  It's very sudden, but the
Appellate Court had requested a hearing within a week, with the decision
within 3 days after that.  The staty of execution has not been lifted, so
until the results of the hearing, Kodo will live.

The Applellate Court brief was very short, and actually it was ferret
friendly, focussing on language issues in the CDC Compendium of 1997.  It
stated firmly that execution (why do they call it euthanasia?) is NOT
mandatory in all cases involving animals in whom shedding periods are not
conclusively determined.

We have Dr Hoffman, Randy Sellers, Dr Leis, and Dr Lanachuck (sp?) from
Detroit coming to testify.  TLE may make it, as well.  Our case is solidly
put together & supported by scientific evidence.  Theirs is not.  The bite
victim was requested today by Public Health to take the prophylatic series
of shots - 20 days after the incident!  He has refused, knowing, as does
most of the rest of the world that Kodo is not rabid.

The case is set for Thursday & Friday, but we may not get a decision before
the weekend.  Obviously, we can't contact the judge, but watching the Senate
& House couldn't hurt.  Email them, or call them for information, as the
Senate (at least) is watching closely.  For addresses, see:

 http://www.house.state.mi.us/replist.html (House of Representatives)
 http://www.migov.state.mi.us (links to Senator's contact info)

Thanks for your support, FMLers.  As Bob has said over & over, the love of
you ferret people, coupled with your refusal to let it go, has kept Kodo
alive, as well as given the state of Michigan a way to stop the senseless
slaughter of accused and innocent ferrets.  Keep it coming!  Say a prayer.

Best ferret cudddles,
Paula Bryder
contact me or Beth Comarow with questions, updates, etc.
Beth - [log in to unmask]