From:
Kristine Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:39:06 -0400
>... herb book I have also suggests using pennyroyal ( a kind of mint), rue
>or tansy to deter ants.  Pennyroyal is also listed as a mouse and flea
>deterrent... it doesn't kill them, -- they just don't like the scent.

Not only is pennyroyal poisonous, but so is tansy.  While tansy repels bugs
very well..it is highly toxic...it has even been known to kill humans!
Please, please, please don't use tansy around pets, or young children.  One
of it's main medicinal uses used to be inducing abortions.  Instead, try
using chives or garlic...these work FANTASTIC!!!  and if a fert eats a bit,
it won't hurt them....garlic is actually good for them on occasion.  Also
try pine needles, winter savory, chili pepper, onion, and wild majoram.  To
kill ants, try crushing the following into a powder and dusting the problem
areas: prickley juniper, sweet flag root, thyme, dittany or mayweed, but
still try to keep ferts away from the areas being treated because large
doses could be toxic.  For fleas, use black alder leaves, eucalyptus leaves
and laurel leaves.  For moths try wormwood, sweet flag root, yellow mililot
and red cedar wood.  Try putting these into burlap sack-like material and
leaving them near fert cages or growing in house-bordering gardens or
windows.  I hope this helps someone.

>Can ferrets get the hiccups?

Hiccups are common in ferrets, and even more common in kits.  It happens to
my ferts all the time and won't hurt them a bit...I guess it's just another
cute thing they do!  Though it seems to help get rid of them if they take a
drink, at least for two of my ferrets it helps, anyway.

Hugs to all the furry snake-acrobats...
(tikitikitembo- Can the dog play? (chomp) Hey look, mom...if I hold on to
                her tail she will drag me around..WHEEEE)
(kissette(the dog)-NOOOO!! not that hyper thing again!)
(Shadow-can I have tikis, treat?)
(Mytser-hey..whats this pokey thing with quills....HEY! mom, it hissed at
             me!)
(spike the hedgehog-if you aren't bearing a mealworm as a gift..go away!)