From:
"Michael A. Bostrom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:05:09 -0400
I've got a couple of things to say.  First, I have sorta a warning and a
question combined.  A couple months ago, my mom's ferret starting losing
weight.  At first, we didn't think much of it because he always loses some
weight in the spring.  But then he lost way too much weight.  And a couple
of weeks ago he deve loped diarrhea and became lethargic.  The first vet he
was taken to wasn't much help, he didn't have much fert experience.  But the
second vet seemed to know more about ferts.  After a thorough checkup and
tests, the vet told us that the most likely cause was the food.  We feed him
Iams kitten food.  The vet said that lately, Iams has been having problems
with their food.  Animals aren't being able to digest it properly and get
skinny and develop diarrhea.  He also gave us some antibiotics just in case.
We changed food right away and saw an immed iateimprovement.  His poops were
getting and he started bouncing around again.  His improvement was so fast,
I don't think the antibiotic even had a chance to do anything.  So I would
like to warn anyone that is feeding their ferret Iams food that something
may be up.  I would also like to ask if anyone has had the same problem or
heard about it.

I would also like to tell about an amusing little incident with one of my
ferts, Turbo.  I was sitting on the floor eating hotdogs with a plate of
them in my lap.  Along comes Turbo and decides hot dogs are the perfect fert
food, and promptly tries to steal one.  Luckily, I'm faster than she gives
me credit for and I grabbed it away from her before she made off with it.
Being annoyed at being relieved of her ill-gotten gain, she immediately
turned around to grab the hot dog back.  Unfortunately, she is very
near-sighted and grabbed my finger instead.  I would like to add that when
Turbo wants something, she can be quite tenacious.  So here I was with a
fert dangling from my finger by her teeth involved in a lengthy discussion
on the differences between a finger and a hot dog.  Eventually, my skill s
at debate and her lack of, won me my finger back.  I'm just glad I wasn't
sitting there naked.

Weebles woobble but they         Thanks
don't fall down.                 Michael A. Bostrom
                                 U-5147 294-0321
                                 MAILSTOP   08-29