From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 20:49:34 -0400
Dear Ferret Friends of the FML and Ferret Friends Disaster Response
International Members

As you are aware we sent out a Disaster Alert approximately 2 weeks ago,
regarding flooding in Minn, SD, and ND.  As of noon today 4/21/97 we changed
our status from Disaster Alert to DISASTER RESPONSE.  We have received
distressing messages regarding the situation in Grand Forks, North Dakota
(please note Grand Forks sits on the boarder of North Dakota and Minnesota).
The latest message we receieved was at noon today (4/21/97) from Emergency
Animal Resuce Services (EARS) and I will quote some of it here.  "Things are
crazy.  ...Terri is in Grand Forks with several of our coordinators and
trained volunteers.  They are doing a lot of EVACUATION.  No WATER.
Communication ver difficult because cell system is overloaded.  We are
sending in more people every day.  The problem right now is that the
enormous number of people personally affected cuts down on the number of
available volunteers locally.  The Grand Forks Human Society shelter was
overwhelmed early on.  We are working closely with the local authorities.
We need your help if you can assist but the cell system doesn't always work -
we are trying to save communication lines for emergencies.  Back to you as
soon as we can get through"

So my dear friends that is the current situation.

This is what we Ferret people need to do not only to help the ferrets in the
disaster situation but the other children of fur feathers scales and shells.

1. Notify people in your community of the disater in Grand Forks (they have
   seen it on the T.V.) Tell them you are gathering supplies for the
   animals affected.
2. Begin gathering supplies from any source what-so ever (BEG, BEG, BEG)
3. Box the supplies up by species i.e. Ferret, Cats, Dogs, Horses, Cows,
   Birds, Wild life ect.
4. Be ready to ship supplies as soon as you receive an address from Ferret
   Friends Disaster Response International
5. Many of you not only own ferrets but other animals - check your closets
   and barns - you may have spare dog leash's, horse harness, lead rope,
   spare carriers, don't overlook anything.
6. Those of you who are members of other organizations such as Quarter
   Horse's of America, or Cat Fanciers - contact EVERYONE YOU KNOW and BEG
   for supplies for the disaster relief!!
7. Volunteers  are needed now to assist in the diaster area with the
   animals, if you are within a reasonable driving distance of the disaster
   area and are willing to transport supplies or have special skills i.e.
   veterinarian, Vet tech etc.  Please contact me by E-Mail at

Finally, we will have a viable address for you very soon and once we do
please send your supplies as soon as possible.

Thousands of people in the Grand Forks area and along the Red River are
homeless, several thousand have had to evacuate.  EARS, HSUS, ASPCA have
been evacuating animals as best they can - there are so many homeless and
abandonded animals in this disaster.  WE MUST HELP!!!!!!

Please I beg each and everyone of you - gather up supplies, beg others for
supplies, box them up and wait patiently for an address (I promise you will
get it as soon as I do).

Thank You

Please keep the people and the Children of Fur affected by this disaster in
your prayers

Chere McCoy
Ferret Friends Disaster Response International

P.S.  For Gary H.   Gary please send this message "round the world"  we are
going to need major help with this disaster