From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 02:04:20 EST
One thing I have noticed since I first obtained a ferret four years ago is
that there is an awful lot of conflicting information out there.  Everywhere
you read information, it seems to differ.  This can be really confusing for
someone who is just trying to do the very best for their babies.

For example, to descent or not; heartworm prevention; types of vaccinations;
proper cage accessories, bedding, litter, etc.; proper toys; teeth cleaning,
etc.  etc.  etc.

It seems that every magazine, newsletter, pamphlet, etc.  that I pick up has
one more thing that I should be doing.  Maybe this is all part of becoming
educated and it does help me to know what questions to ask, but it always
makes me feel that maybe I'm not doing all that I should.  I love my babies
with all of my heart and I would do ANYTHING for them.  I can't wait to get
home each day so I can hug and kiss them and play with them.  Actually, I
think ferret ownership has made me somewhat of a recluse as I find them more
pleasant to be around than a lot of humans I know.  They are incredibly
spoiled but also the sweetest little things in the world.  I describe them
as a complete pain in the butt and a complete joy all at once.  I don't like
feeling that I am doing (or not doing) something that could jeopardize their
health, well-being, or happiness.

I subscribe to anything I can get my hands on about ferrets and have 4-5
books on them.  Maybe I am trying to be too educated about them.  Maybe we
all just need to learn their normal behavior, watch for changes, and take
action as needed.  It seems that sometimes we look for things to be wrong
when they're really not.

Someone commented recently that they were tired of reading about dying
ferrets.  I agree that it is very sad and I end up crying a little bit each
day too.  However, I think it's important for people to have a forum with
understanding people to pour out their agony when they lose a baby.  Most
people I know don't know a thing about ferrets and don't really want to
know.  Only another ferret lover can fully understand the pain of losing
one.  Just as only another dog lover can understand when you lose a dog.  I
think that FML is a great place for people to write about their ferrets and
if there are things that people don't want to read, then skip over it.
There are usually several items each day that I'm not interested in so I
skip them.  No big deal!!!

I find FML to be a great place to ask my "stupid" questions and get real
answers.  I may just get opinions at times, but that helps too.  I think
we all just want to do the best we can.