From:
Gail Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 19:53:25 +0000
Hi All--
Just caught up on several Ferret Digests. Here are some inquiries and
comments, and my "babies" stories:

Clyde (aka Poopie One Kanobi) is a big taciturn fellow (neutered and
descented) with a gentle demeanor except when dragging his best pal Bonnie
around in their daily play ritual(s).  I learned not to force the potty
training too much when he began getting distressed and nervous whenever he
needed to void.  Never a biter.  Seems these animals get cuddly after 1-2
years because Clyde's (4 yo) habit of curling up contentedly for "Poopie
breaks" on dad's chest was a later event --c-shaped fuzzball curled up under
chin.  He has a beautiful thick coat and an occasional problem with
hairballs that we have to watch for--veggie oil works great and he laps it
up from a dish, b.i.d.  Loves socks, checkbooks and leather key cases, etc.;
am surprised they do not chew things they steal.  Gets very chubby over
winter.

Bonnie the Biter (aka Poopie Too) is our midget ferret.  Sable I think.  She
probably has an adrenal problem--symptoms are cosmetic so far: swollen vulva
(but this subsides and goes away for months at a time) and hair loss on
torso (getting worse now).  She is 4.  She is perky, pesky and most
inquisitive and clever of the two.  Less likely to take Poopie breaks but
still lovable.  Recently decided the foot of the bed under covers is a great
place for an afternoon nap.  I cured her of bities after adopting both she
and Clyde, friends did not discipline these babies.  At 1 year she would
bite to get her way any time she wanted to.  Raised voices, water squirts
and isolation in the cage did not work.  One day I decided to show her who
top ferret was and I bit her back on her ear and tail (non ferret folks
think this is gross; to ferret folks--it was done gently, no injury, just
enough pressure to make her take notice).  Next time she "toothed" my arm,
and I bit her again.  Then she "licked" my arm and I bit her again.  She
doesn't bite anymore.  Gives lots of kisses and nose-touches.  Only nips
when we get a bit feisty playing.

Question: Can anyone tell me more about the aftercare of adrenalectomy?
Unlike the FerretDig mention recently of $200 I've been quoted $550 here in
Miami, FL.  Am afraid this $ is out of the question for us.  What happens
next--without surgery?  When is it too late for surgery?  Does this
sometimes remain stable or always get progressively worse?

Gail and Bob and Ferretmeisters Bonnie and Clyde