From:
Patrice Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 08:39:41 -0400
HI,

Someone a couple of days ago, sorry I can't remember the name, posted a note
about clicker training ferrets.

I am a dog trainer who is currently working to encorporate clicker training
into my dog training and I have used it with my ferrets with some sucess.
Yes, it works and you can train ferrets with it.  The main problems I have
found for beginners, like me, doing this with their ferrets is the timing
involved.  Ferrets have very short attention spans and your clicking which
corresponds to the behavior must be pin point accurate.  Also your work
sessions must be extremely short on the line of one or two minutes.  The
behavior I have taught my ferret to do is to flip a cup that was lying on
its side to an upright position.  And for the most part, despite my timing,
I have been able to do it.

I would love to answer questions or share people experiences over training
ferrets especially those involving positive methods.