From:
Sc Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 19:05:23 -0500
I'm on a posting spree today!  Neglected to make clear in my post about
vinyl flooring that because the vinyl is lipped up the side of the cage
instead of being cut into two pieces for this purpose it has rounded edges
where wall and floor meet - in other words not exactly a 90 degree angle.
So there are very few places for gunk to collect in like edges and crevices
which are very difficult to get clean.  Between this and wood pellets,and
laundering of bedding there is very little odor coming from the cage area -
and we seldom bathe the boys.  When odor does build up we know it's time for
a bath.

MICROCHIP ID: I recently inquired about this at my vet's.  They had not
started doing it because the last time they checked (which was a while ago)
it was still not universal.  My questions are:

1) Did the universal scanner get developed?  If so, is it in wide use -
could I reasonably expect most pounds and shelters to have it, and, more
importantly, if they have it to be using it?  And consequently to be using
it on incoming ferrets and not just dogs and cats?

2) What happens if your contact information changes?  My understanding is
that each chip has a unique id number.  Does someone keep this number linked
to your contact info in some office somewhere?  Do they do a good job of it,
in other words are mistakes often made in contact info, and how easy is it
to change your address?

3) What is the average cost per animal?

Thanks for any info.

sc ellis-blackwell