From:
Bailey L Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:56:52 EDT
AlphaChi:

I think that this is a great forum for open discussion and debate on certain
issues regarding ferrets.  At some point, however, for this debate to be
productive, or at least informative, something more concrete than personal
opinion and experience is needed.  The problem is not that these things
are discussed, or even that conclusions are made; it is that this is then
disseminated as fact, more or less.  And it does not stop here on this
forum, but crosses over into print, The STAR* Ferret newsletter and the
Ferret First Aid books are two prime examples of good intentions gone too
far.  The STAR* Spring 1997 issue grossly abuses its position as a source
of information by printing its "New Figure for 1996" nonsense RIGHT ON THE
COVER.

I don't intend to limit anyone's ability to bring their personal experiences
to the table; just be sure that they are presented as just that.  What I
find disturbing is that you seem to think that there should be no
accountability for what people say/write.  When one qualifies what they say
here as opinion, or as personal experience only, then there is little to
hold them accountable for.  Free speech does not mean "no accountability"-
say what you want, but be prepared to back yourself up and defend it.  This
certainly sounds like touchy-feely-warm-fuzzy-no accountability-let's just
all make up our own minds garbage:

>Bailey, I understand your concern and frustration, however, may I suggest
>that we let each of us police our own ears and eyes, and draw our own
>conclusions as to what is fact or fancy, what is hysteria or hard reality?

The problem is that what is said here has an effect, and if it is presented
as fact, then someone will believe it.  Everyone's opinion here has
validity, and should be expressed and received with respect and an open
mind.

As far as the quest for a "perfect resource", I do not expect anything like
perfection, but even if you are quoting anecdotal information, I am going to
ask for names(i.e. all these ferret vets you know) and valid statistics.
People come to this list seeking information, and they get all kinds of
opinion masquerading as fact.

I dislike being negative, but you cannot dismiss the responsibility we as
ferret owners have on this list to either provide valid information, or
identify opinion/conjecture/etc.  as such.  When we get carried away, we
lose credibility, and at a time when a bite could cost a ferret their
head....

Save the condescension.  I have no illusions about what motivates a
business.  It ain't feelings.  Money is all that a corporate beast hears,
smells, sees, or tastes, and I don't necessarily have a beef with that.  The
best way for MF to make money is to breed responsibly, and work in the best
interests of the ferret...not because they care, but because that's how they
make money.  I guess that it will take 2 or more decades to uncover the
conspiracy between MF, the CDC, and the producers of Ferretone to eliminate
the world's weasels...see the next episode of "X-Files".

We need to be responsible about what we put into print, both on this forum
and on paper.