From:
Bailey L Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:04:29 EDT
While AlphaChi's post was well-written, it essentially did not address my
question.  Anecdotal information is not always sufficient for making
statements that could border on libel/slander.  Attitudes on this list and
elsewhere, including the publications of ferret organizations, reflect a
bias against MF that is not presented as opinion.  It is not that I am
overly pro-MF, but I hate to see the political position of the ferret
compromised by the inability of factions within the "Ferret community" (ie.
the commercial vs.  the private) to get along.  If the problems certain
folks have with MF are true and proof of some sort can be provided, then
something should be done(other than badmouthing the business end of the
ferret community like a bunch of anti-establishment children).

The problem is bigger than just attitudes toward MF.  The recent issue over
vitamin A in Ferretone was another example.  I realize that there was
legitimate concern and discussion, but some of what I read equated to a
building hysteria over vit A.  Someone should do a study.  I'd like to know
what the facts regarding ferrets and vit A are.  To read the list, you would
think ferret owners thought the folks at 8n1/Four Paws, etc.  were all
trying to slowly kill off all ferrets slowly with vitamin A.  There is a
difference between misinformed hysteria and keeping corporations responsible.
The internet can be an effective tool for disseminating information, but it
can be a dangerous weapon as well, just ask Tommy Hilfiger.

As far as MF and corporations go, business is apparently a bad thing,
regardless of how AlphaChi claims to feel; what is wrong with ferrets as a
business?  I am all for holding businesses to high standards of ethical
practice and in this case, humane treatment of their product, but business
is a good thing.  If MF is really engaging in unethical business practice,
go get 'em...but we'd better have all our stuff well documented, or we will
be doing ferrets the world over a disservice.  If our concerns with MF and
others continue to be nothing more than opinionated ranting and not informed
and supportable fact, then all we are doing is destroying our credibility as
ferret owners, and our discussions here reduced to no more than mere banter.

If I'm wrong, enlighten me.  If you're going to pelt me with opinion and
conjecture, save it.