From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:50:01 -0500
Assorted Schlossbergs wrote:
>[about vasectomies] So is this just a tube tie?  In order to "dud stud"
>females?

Right.  Vasectomized ferrets have had their "tubes tied," generally after
they reach maturity (though I'm not sure it matters).  Neutered males have
been castrated (removal of the testicles), and spayed females have had a
complete ovariohysterectomy (removal of the ovaries and uterus).

>[on airlines] From what I hear there is a one pet in the cabin rule per
>section.  I have 4 fuzzies though.  What to do?

Last December, I flew on Continental with two ferrets *in the cabin* in one
underseat carrier.  I had no problems whatsoever, and a lot of fun.  I
believe the rule is two carriers per plane, and they let us take both
ferrets in one carrier.  Email me if you'd like more detail on how I got
them to agree to it or how the trip went.

>what do they do at the x-ray and metal detector even if you are approved???

They have you carry the animal through the metal detector and put the
carrier through the X-ray.  In my experience, the security people don't ask
to see a ticket for the pets or anything, so there shouldn't be any need to
hide them there.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>