From:
Elwin Bullard II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:16:38 -0600
>I have been reading for several times now of owners stating they tap the
>ferret on the nose when it bites.  This is not training the ferret to stop
>biting.  It is putting the ferret on the defensive... Please, don't use pain
>or force to stop the biting.  It has never worked with animals or man.

This is not true.  Mother animals do use pain to teach lessons.  That is why
when a baby bites the mother, she will bite back.  She does not bite hard,
just enough to get the baby's attention.

I have used this method for years to stop cats, and ferrets from biting.

When one of our pets bites I nip them on the ear just enough to get their
attention.  This has only had to happen one time.  After that my girls knew
who was the boss and that biting was not acceptable.

Ed, Ootz, Possum, and Doris