Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:11:34 -0500
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Have not had time to follow the genetics posts closely and don't breed so
have no ferret specific comments.  What I DO want to point out is that
interactions between loci can occur, and sometimes these can involve genes
which will suppress other genes or modify their expressions.  When someone
has what looks like the matings of full albinos but winds up with colored
kits it might be that one or both of the parents happened to have
suppressing genes at other loci which caused them to appear albino.
Genotypes and phenotypes can be different depending on such things, on
in-utero conditions, on environment, etc.  (This goes for more than just
color; it might well be that as many as one in each 400 female humans by
phenotype is a genetic male; this situation is seen in other mammals as well
and the individuals ARE female though with a difference here or there.
Genetics gets messy at times and there are continua all OVER the place.
Even gender is not a simple thing although our typical world view leads to
folks forgetting the many "others" out there.)

It will help if you trace your lines carefully with charting.  You may see
patterns you did not expect which can clarify things, notice characteristics
which tend to be seen together, etc.

What do the formal color naming groups call a ferret which has the typical
patterning but instead of the standard colors it's almost all or all in
shades of gray?  We had used the term "sterling" but then found that they
tend to be quite different.  Meltdown looked like this and so does the new
little girl, both mitted, too.  Ruffle was some gray and some other, but
then she was unusual in so MANY ways with her many deformities and the like.
Bob's found her quite a conundrum.

Someone asked about liver illnesses in ferrets.  WHAT TYPE OF LIVER ILLNESS?
We got used to cystic liver with Ruffie.  The surgery did not cure it but
removing her worst lobe did extend her life span by a good bit and her later
cysts fortunately were slower and individually smaller.

Sukie