From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:08:46 -0400
Hi All:

A couple weeks ago I promised to pass on the info.  I got from my contact at
the local vet school about the MF retired breeders program, in which retired
breeders are sent to the vet schools so the students can learn to
spay/neuter and descent ferrets.

*MF* initiated the program on a trial basis this year, with a few university
vet schools.  If it goes well, they may expand in the future.

The program:
3-4 year olds are donated (no charge) a couple times a year in lots of 10-20
so vet schools.  It's the school's responsibility to find homes for them
afterwards, & they can charge fees to help cover medical costs (NCSU was
charging $35 each).  MF updates all their shots before they ship them, and
sends food along with the ferrets.  They ask the school to use MF products,
& dispense samples to adopters as well.

Beginning in Spring '98 (next time they get ferrets), NCSU will release all
their retired breeders + food samples to Rogues' Gallery so we can find
homes for them.

My contact cautioned that it would be difficult for an "outside agency"
(i.e. shelter or club) to set up something like this because of "university
politics", but suggested that you identify the vet on staff who is
responsible for exotic animal medicine programs & have him/her contact MF
directly at their main number.

BTW: Everyone has their own opinion about MF & their products, but I think
this is a very positive step they've taken, & think we should encourage
them!

Other Stuff:
Shari Gunter posted a note about TriFL doing the Oberlin Rd.  festival in
Raleigh this weekend (May 3).  Please note: there's also a larger festival
in Morrisville, NC (near Research Triangle Park) this Sat.  & there are
currently only 2 - maybe 3 - people who can help out.  We REALLY need your
help!  If you can't man/woman the booth, we still need you to bake cookies,
bring drinks, provide ice, cups, etc.  Please e-mail me to volunteer!

Thanks!

Karen