From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:18:33 -0700
>From:    Sterling Killian <[log in to unmask]>
>My ferret Lydia has had her left adrenal gland removed and has regrown all
>her hair.  ( The surgery was nearly two years ago) She now takes lysodrin
>for maintenance because as soon as the one was removed the other became a
> problem.  She is now experiencing swelling of the vulva which gets better
>and worse and has now for eight months or better.  The vet says not to
>worry.  I am worrying..........
>
>She is not losing hair again but her hair is still thin.  She doesnt have
>hair loss any where but on her tail.  I am gunshy after spending literally
>thousands on vets who are clue less. ... What should I do?

If you feel your vet is "clueless", then find another vet.  Check Pam
Grant's list, call everyone listed in your area/state for a vet referral.
Secondly, it seems that the other adrenal tumor is causing some problems.
Many vets won't remove both glands since this causes a hormonal imbalance
and can entail many problems for the ferret as time passes.  I would suspect
the frequency of dosage with Lysodren should be increased, but you'll need a
vet to confirm this.  The goal is to get the ferret on whatever amount of
Lyosdren (within reason) it takes to keep the vulval swelling down and other
symptoms in check.  I have 4 ferrets here on Lysodren, on two different
schedules.  The hairloss on the tail may not regrow, two here have not.
Once you find the appropriate dosage for your ferret, there isn't alot more
you can do for her.  The Lysodren will not cure her, but will buy her time!
That is about all that can be done.  Some vets like to do surgery at points
to de-bulk the tumor but can't remove it completely.  Make sure she is on a
good diet, (I suggest Totally Ferret) and let me know what the dosage on the
bottle is for the Lysodren and what intervals and amounts you are giving it.
You may be already at maximum dosage.  Also, where are you located?

>Bare in mind I am a student and broke ...........

Too bad.  Ferrets are not inexpensive to maintain, I suggest you start
putting money aside so that you will be able to handle an emergency should
that arise.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter