From:
"D. Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:59:19 -0700
I want to thank everyone who wrote me about Scooter.  I could never
understand what sympathy cards did for the person who lost someone until
now.  It is a great comfort to me to get a note from those who truly
understand.  To most people who see me in tears he was only an animal and I
should "get over it." To me he was the best part of my life.

Getting him up in the morning he would stand at the cage when I went into
the kitchen.  He was saying "mom come pick me up and love me." When I would
take him into the bedroom I would pet him and his tail would fluff up like a
big caterpillar.  All it would take to get his tail started is for me to say
"oh look at my scooter bug" and "you're the best bug in the world, my little
boy." He would then roll over and put his head in my hand waiting to be
petted all over.  He would come up to me when I got home and beg for a treat
all I had to say is "what do you want little boy" and he would get excited -
it was a mini-marshmallow- his favorite treat.  He got iiams cat food all
day and cooked cocktail shrimp at night - his night time treat.  I got much
more out of giving him a treat than he ever did - he was so kind and
wonderful - a treat wasn't so much.

I hate the way California was towards my little boy.  I know he was happy
inside most of the time but I really wanted him to see the Ocean and run on
the beach.  California never gave us that chance.  Why aren't animals
accorded the rights of humans if properly supervised and of no danger to
anyone?  Why can't we treat them with dignity?  Why do some feel that only
humans deserve the earth?  Why can't they just let us love our ferrets?  I
am so hurt and angry that he never had the experiences God has to offer the
creatures of the world.  I am human and it is my right to live like I want
and Scooter was a big part of that life- no one has the right to threaten to
destroy something I love so dearly just because he existed in California.
The government has got to let us have some freedoms- they allow ferrets and
other animals to be used in medical experiments but draw the line in
California when we just want to love them.  What does that mean???  Why do
they care and want to hurt us so.  If they feel animals don't matter don't we
as citizens?  The state of California doesn't really care for us citizens -
it just pushes us out and will destroy something we love if we don't agree
with their policies.  We want ferrets legalized so bad and yet we worry
about making our feelings known publicly just in case they want to torture
us be putting our babies to death.

Please help support Ferret Legalization in California - I hope to have
another baby someday and we don't want to live in a Gestapo world- we want
to walk the beach and play in the sun.  I want to show him the world and I
will see it anew though my baby boys eyes - isn't that what life is about.
Freedom to love and be loved.  And not worry about it.