From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:06:55 -0400
Alicia wrote (and I get to refute, with the best of good intentions :) -

>Ferrets learn to like their treats because of their human caretakers.

True.

>Actually ferrets do not need assorted treats like fruits, veggies etc.
>as they are CARNIVORES.  Remember, ferrets do NOT digest plant proteins,
>and in some cases too much of a good thing ( raisins) can cause severe

I'm actually very interested in looking into this - I bet this isn't
entirely the case.  Bear with me, and let me know if I sound right.

Ferrets are carnivores, yes, but they eat herbivores.  Chances are good that
whatever herbivore they eat, they don't meticulously pick out the organs and
lay them aside, only to eat the fur, bones, and meat - they gobble up the
mouse or chicken or cow and the gizzards are just as yummy as the rest.
Thing is, there are half-digested grains in those gizzards.  I agree
wholeheartedly with Alicia in that too much fruit/veggie treat is definitely
a bad thing!  However, ferrets probably use plant proteins in the same way
that cats do - in its half-digested, thanks-to-the-grain- eating-mouse kinda
way.  Am I totally off-base?  I give my ferrets processed fruits and veggies
and the occasional raw grain (wheat bran), but as always, a primarily
meat-based diet is critical.

Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters