From:
Laura & Neil Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:16:42 -0700
Hi everyone.

As you all know here in California we are not allowed to keep ferrets, not
yet anyway, fingers crossed for the 14th.

But Las Vegas is only 5 hours away (3 if Laura drives) and the state of
Nevada still gives people the freedom of choice.  So my question is, how
about arranging a show over the border?.  With an estimated 500,000 illegal
fuzzie owners here in CA, I,m sure the attendance will be good.  Might even
get some positive publicity.

One last thing about the vote on the 14th.  In England anyone can own a
ferret, no license, no restrictions and no problems.

And no child has ever been savaged by a ferret, nipped yes but never
savaged.  The only laws that mention savaging relate to dogs.  And no law
exists regarding ferrets as vermin or a farmers rights about dealing with
ferrets.  A farmer is free to shoot a dog that is attacking cattle or sheep.
What I'm getting at here is that English law goes back over 1000 years and
ferrets have never been a problem, and so no laws exist to control them.
But In England they have the "Dangerous Dogs Act", because of the high
number of children being savaged.  So why is it different here in CA?.

Don't misunderstand, I am not a dog hater, far from it. I just feel it is a
valid question.

Ranting over, and waiting for the pain as the pins are stuck in my wax
effigy.

Neil