From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:34:39 -0800
>From:    Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seattle show
>I can't help but feel that unless you attended, or were involved, it is
>impossible to comment on the show, whether precautions were set up in the
>"11th hour", or whether ECE was really going to be a factor at the show.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion just as we are entitled to ours.
Since we were "involved" we felt we could legitimately express our opinion.
Using baby wipes and paint masks is not the sign of long term planning in
our opinion.  Neither is going to accomplish very much.  Chubbs do not come
with a viricide.  (Having used them for 2 years with our son, we actually
are very familiar with them).  No one strongly believes a paint mask can
stop a virus - anyway we sure hope not.

We tried to give them credit but you attacked that.  We are very glad they
attempted something.  Even these simple efforts would have accomplished some
protection.

>I am also disturbed by the negative slant towards the LOS and LIFE
>organizations - is this really necessary?

Nothing was said about LIFE.  The comment was concerning first time show
attendees used as judges, who obviously were not certified judges.  This was
a small show based on the number of entries.  Sorry, it just was.  The
number of entries listed in a show catalog is not a value judgement.  Its
quantifiable.

LIFE sanctioned the show but has practically disavowed anything else to do
with it.  Fine.  I have no desire to feud with LIFE.  Many of its members
are friends and cousins of mine and Bill.  By my being a part of LOS and
through them LIFE we'd be attacking ourselves anyway.  Bill and I are
members but not officers of the AFA, LIFE (indirectly as they have no direct
membership program), LOS and NAFA.  We were a part of FURO.  We are parts of
all the National organizations we can join.

>"Questionable judging and even more questionable revocation of trophies were
>the biggest problem. Blame for these goes in a different direction."

The incident of first awarding and then taking away a trophy is
questionable.  Is it disputed that that happened?  Would you like to see the
pictures?

>I fully expect to get flamed for this, both in private and on the FML

We are not flaming you.  We are merely expressing a different point of view
from yours.  An issue was raised as to the wellbeing of the ferrets
attending this show.  As almost everyone points out "we're only here because
of the ferrets".  Therefore, it is everyone's responsibility to take care of
their wellbeing.  This issue obviously was addressed at the show.  Pointing
out that it was addressed is showing that the wellbeing of the ferrets was
being tended to.

>All that is left are the words and we can all "read" into the words what we
>want, depending on whether we agree or not with the author.

Exactly!  This is the biggest part of the problem.  People read into words
things that aren't there.  Reading between the lines doesn't have to be a
full-time occupation.

>From:    Scott Beisner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Alex Bennett - KITS

Thanks for a more complete story.