From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 17:33:45 -0500
For those who are waiting to hear the news on Gabriel.  IT IS GREAT.  I
picked Gabriel up at the vets.  After 13 days of rest and
anti-inflammatories to reduce swelling on the spinal chord he was alert and
ready for change.  Arriving back at Ferret Wise, shelter Dad and I allowed
Gabriel time to socialize with us.  Many ferret kisses were bestowed and
nuzzles which we are sure are "thank you so very much".  Gabriel was held
for some time and then we set him on the floor to evaluate whether we could
notice any differences.  What we did notice is: the involuntary spasms in
the hind end have drastically reduced, he was able to maneuver himself in
his hospital cage much better, and the most EXCITING event was that although
Gabriel cannot walk yet, IF his spinal column is supported ( held in
alignment ) he was able to use his hind legs.  One and then two feet were
actually motivating across the carpet.  THIS IS SO WONDERFUL-- there is the
ability to heal... we have made calls... and informed Gabriel that while we
know he would like to truck all over the shelter -- he still needs to rest.
Gabriel will have a long ride tomorrow ( Sunday) we will be taking him to
his new Mom-- who already is so very excited to hear of his progress.  ( I
will miss him dearly, but know he needs far more attention than a busy
shelter Mom can give).  Gabriel's Mom will be taking him to the vets early
this week for a physical evaluation, and they will begin trying to develop a
support and treatment / therapy plan that will allow proper healing in the
hopes that Gabriel will again walk and play without a brace or assisting
mechanism.

I also arrived home from my speaking engagement to see that three more
donations had arrived in the mail to help Gabriel on his journey back to
ferret health.  I would like to thank everyone for their kind wishes and
generosity.  Gabriel will be taking a check for $150 with him to his new
vet(s) and we will continue to subsidize him as we are able in his recovery.

Dad and I will be producing and mailing thank you notes and "Gabriel"
buttons to those who have been so generous and -- hopefully within the next
week we will put Gabriel's photo and story on the shelter home page so
everyone can meet the courageous boy who wants to get better.  Once the
Gabriel story is on the home page we will update it with reports on his
progress in his rehabilitative home.  (I will post everyone when I get
confirmation that the "Gabriel story" is entered on our home page
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html ) I would like to extend a very
sincere THANK YOU to Trish Curtis who brought Gabriel to my attention.  She
was alerted to his plight through the DFW mailing list by an inquiry looking
for breeder information.  Without that contact Gabriel might not be with us
today and certainly would not have been afforded the opportunity to heal.
Gabriel says "Thanks Trish!"

I would also like to say a thank you to mr.  oderator Bill Gruber for the
FML.  Without the networking help of the FML and the ability to tell
"Gabriel's Story" we would not have been able to cover the exams, x-rays and
treatment to date.  The FML is a very useful and informative tool to ferret
owners and ferret caretakers.  Education is just the beginning to great
things that can be accomplished in the ferret community.  Thank you Mr.
Moderator and readers of the Ferret Mailing List.  As long as there is
interest we will keep you all informed on Gabriel and his journey to
physical wholeness.

Fondly in Ferrets,
Alicia
a grateful shelter Mom