From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:36:46 -0800
From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mo' Bob C on Vets

Good comments on vets.  We don't agree 100% on some issues but strongly
agree on many areas.  We chose to self vaccinate (distemper) for example but
some of that is a matter of scale.  We have quite a few more ferrets pass
through our house with the breeding and the shelter.  Some people read into
postings what they want to see.  I've been demonized by some and anything I
or my wife writes is seen as flaming them personally.  Even claiming that we
do not accept donations has been taken as a sign we are corrupt and aren't
running a real shelter.  I have no idea how anything you've written would be
contorted to be attacking vets.

We provide blood donor ferrets to any vet that requests.  We provide ferrets
for studies such as blood work up when asked.  We don't understand how some
of these vets make two ends meet they are so generous.

>From:    "Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vet answers
>In the same survey that equates to an average salary of $60,000 per year
>for working (on average) 50-55 hours per week with a minimum of 8 years
>of college and 16 years in practice.  That works out to about $22.00/hour.
[...]
>The beginning veterinarian starts at $30,000 per year after 8 years of
>college and has student debt of approximately $45,000.  That averages
>$500-600 per month in loan payments for 10 years.  That works out to
>$11.00/hour.

To some folks that will sound like a lot of income.  There are legal
secretaries around here who make far better money.  That entry level is
still below entry level for an engineer with just a Bachelors degree.
We don't begrudge vets what they need to charge us.

>>From:    "D.J. and Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: ferret is sick??  Hagen cages.
>>Well about 2 months ago we suspect he had pneumonia...thanks to
>>wonderfull Meg, we battled it by my stealing antibiotics from the animal
>>clinic where I work (i was desperate).

>I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this next statement

This is support not a flame.

I never make it a practice to pretend to be a vet.  I "work" with various
vets supporting what they do but I nor any other person on this list
excluding the vets has gone through the training.  I find it quite serious
that some one who claims to have been a nurse but not for maybe 15 years is
basically practicing medicine and encouraging theft.  Dishonesty in this
area can lead to the deaths of ferrets.  Bad thin.

And Mo' Bob and Dr. Dutton...

Yes we are fully aware of all implications of self vaccinating distemper we
do pretreat and we do have epinephrine on hand.  We also live only a few
minutes from Dr. Kawasaki and his Old Bridge Veterinary Hospital - we only
give shots while he is at the office or available.

>From:    Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Shelter in the news
>Bev and I are bracing for an onslaught of calls. Joy is bracing for being
>called "Ferret-face" by the kids at school... the price of fame. :-)

This might be far worse than you are expecting.  Our daughter had a lot to
go through after she was featured in "Kid City" magazine (attached to PBS)
If things do get bad and Joy wants to talk with another kid thats been
through it just ask.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/