From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 23:00:04 -0500
At the point of posting the things we have tried so far for itching (pretty
much in order) are: combing with a flea comb (did not really help but did
let us check for parasites -- none present), combing with an infant comb,
brushing with a regular brush, brushing with a vibrating brush, Moisturel
(Helped a lot, but she hated having it put on and rubbed in which took a lot
of time and towels.), boiling water to increase the humidity here (Helped
even more.), vegetable oil rubbed on her skin (Suggested by Margie and it
really made her more comfy -- my hands are silky, too, now.  We hope it does
not go rancid, but we think that if we rub her down enough it won't be on
her long enough to do so.  She did not mind it at all.), and massage
through-out.

Hanan says she can't have any of the meds for itching because they will case
problems for her Enacard.

These are the other suggestions received so far for Meltdown's bad itching
with her shedding:
- Add even more oil to her food.  (She's already on a VERY high fat diet,
  but will try and see if she accepts it.)
- Use a cold water humidifier next to her cage.
- Spray on diluted Avon Skin So Soft.
- Use the thick form of lanolin which you melt in water.  (Unfortunately, I
  am as allergic to lanolin as Steve is to baby oil)
- Try Mane and Tail Conditioner by Straight Arrow.

With so many folks writing I figured I 'd probably save folks time, and
maybe help other ferret this Spring if I let you know what the input is.

Oh, we really think it would probably not be wise to risk bathing her -- too
stressful with her level of heart disease.  (If the oil does go rancid we'll
try non-bathing solutions such as tissues on brushes and dry shampoo ,but so
far it does not appear that there will be enough to go rancid.)

Sukie