From:
"D.J. and Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:47:51 -0500
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure how many of you remember from a few months back ..the baby boy
ferret I rescued from the pet store where I work after it arrived with its
dead baby brother and sisters?  Now I am having problems with him fear
biting, etc...

Well about 2 months ago we suspect he had pneumonia...thanks to wonderful
Meg, we battled it by my stealing antibiotics from the animal clinic where I
work (i was desperate).  We suspect he had fluid in his lungs, but I
couldn't afford to have him treated for it and it slowly went away.

My new problem is this...myself and many of you suspected he had some sort
of internal injury or something that was causing him pain, which in turn
made him aggressive and a fear biter.  I didn't take him to a vet becuase I
couldn't afford it and I ruled that out after he started being nice a few
days later.

NOW...he has bitten me severly on my hand and on my foot in one day.  All I
did was pick him up.  I think maybe he does have somehitng wrong..and heres
what I think it is: ever since the pneumonia situation he has always had a
sort of hacking cough, mostly at night.  I didn't think anything of this as
my 5 year old male has been tihs way all his life and is perfectly healthy.
Recently the baby boys cough is happening often and it sounds like he has
fluid in his lungs...it sounds very mucusy, but noting comes up when he
coughs.  He sounds awful though..it sounds like he is gurgling.  If any of
you have any ideas about what this may be, please e=mail me.  ...also for
those of you more experienced..what tests should I get done if I can get
money...or what should a vet look for in x=rays..any info would help SO
much.

MEG IF YOU SEE THIS!!  I have been trying to e-mail you with no success.  I
think I might have a wrong e=mail address...please,PLEASE contact me if you
can.

Hagen Ferret Cages...a Hagen rep.  was in our pet store but I missed a
chance to talk tko him about these cages.  I have a customer help number
which I was thinking about calling and making a few suggestions... Many of
you may not know this but they have a chinchilla cage which is pretty tall
and comes with 2 platforms...this would be ideal for ferrets, in fact i own
3 of these cages.  What I was thinking was that we should all contact Hagen
adn suggest that they use a chinchilla cage, make it into a kit with kitty
litter instead of shavings and stick a ferret on the box.  They would sell A
LOT more of these..I know in our store people buy a lot of them.  The weird
thing is that they are only about $20 dollars more than the kit which is
half the size....most people prefer to shell out the money.  I think we
shouold bombard them with this idea...maybe they'll change.  I'm going to
try to get a picture of this chincilla cage scanned so you all can see it.
It's perfect size for 1 ferret...I keep 2 comfortably in one also.

Email me with suggestions on my problem or just to get more info about the
Hagen Starter kits.

--

Truly,
Liz