From:
Michael and Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:07:48 -0500
>From:    Sc Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: addition to vinyl post & ? about Microchip ID

>MICROCHIP ID:
>1) Did the universal scanner get developed?
>2) What happens if your contact information changes?
>3) What is the average cost per animal?

Hi, I'm Kim, a certified vet tech.  I have had all 4 of our ferrets
microchiped by the Home Again microchip.  The American Kennel Club Companion
Animal Recovery keep the records of all the animals microchiped with the
Home Again chip.  They send a confirmation letter after they have received
the animal information, they want to be sure they have everything correct.
As for a universal scanner, I'm not sure if the Home Again scanner is
universal.  But I heard at the state convention that the Home Again corp.
had sent their scanners to all shelters and humane societies--I am not sure
if this is factual.  But all shelters and humane societies are supposed to
scan every animal with all the scanners that they have.  At the clinic I
work at (in Minnesota), we scan all animals that were strays or came from
humane societies and shelters.  I am glad that we chipped all our ferrets,
but I must warn you so you won't be surprised: they needle they use is meant
for dogs and cats, it is very large.  My little 1.5 lb.  female, who never
bites, did try to bite my boss when he injected the chip.  But I would
rather ask her to go through a little pain, then to have her disappear and
not have any hope in getting her back again.  Within a day or two, we could
not even find the site of the injection, but we could feel the chip under
the skin.  It doesn't bother any of them, now.

As for your question about changing information, the letter you receive from
the AKC also has a number for you to call or a form for you to fill out to
change anything.  We received a new confirmation letter within a week when
we changed info.

And finally, as for cost, it will vary from clinic to clinic.  For instance,
the cost at my clinic is around $40.00 per pet and then you must pay a one
time registration fee of $9.00 to the AKC.  But I believe it is worth it.