From:
Ellen Goffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:15:41 -0400
I just read the post from the person who thought the FML was not the place
for telling the stories of the deaths of beloved ferrets.  Although I
understand that these stories may be depressing to some, I don't think the
answer is not to allow these types of stories.  Many of us like to hear
these stories despite the fact they are sad because it gives us a sense of
community with the people on the list; a sense of sharing the good as well
as the bad that make up all our lives.  Not everyone is subscribed to AOL
and can take advantage of the Pet Loss chat rooms.  Not everyone has friends
and family that understand what a dear ferret friend means to him or her.
The stories I have read about other people's ferrets, whether good or bad,
have made me feel closer to them because we share the experience of living
with ferrets.  If anyone does not want to read these stories for whatever
reason, it is understandable.  But, please, just move your eyes on down to
the next post until you find one you want to read.  Everything on the FML is
not for everyone.

I thought Sukie's progress reports on Meltdown were full of love and caring.
Her words carried all of her love for her precious Meltdown and it travelled
through cables and wires to end up on each of our computer screens.  My
sympathies go out to all of you who have lost a ferret.  I lost one myself
seven years ago and thankfully that loss hasn't visited again since.  But
some day it will and it is good to know that all of you are out there and
many of you are willing to "listen." I also want to mention that Margie's
"secret from Meltdown" about the perfect hidey-hole being found was just
beautiful.

Let us all share our love of ferrets.  Let us all take what we can from this
list and leave the rest.

Ellen [log in to unmask]
Antony (Grandpa Tony, 7 years; Lexie, 6 yrs; Babe, 8 months)
Andre & Enzo (2 1/2 yr old cats)
Merlin (9 yr old parakeet)