From:
Kirk & Gaye Stantis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:22:54 -0500
Thanks to all my FML friends who wrote with offers to help Lou with either a
home or donations for his adrenal surgery.  In a perfect world, everyone who
ever adopted a pet into their home would be able to provide it with love and
attention, the proper care, and medical intervention when necessary.
Unfortunately, like everything in it, the world is not perfect.  Sometimes
we take on responsibilities that eventually overwhelm us in one way or
another.  Such was the case for Lou and his former owners.  They no longer
thought they could provide him with the proper care and attention.

Lou had a couple wonderful offers from caring people who take on life's
outcast little pets and offer them not only the proper medical care, but
care for the little soul...LOVE!  To them, I and Lou's owners will forever
be indebted.  We are also most appreciative to the folks that wrote and
offered to fund Lou's surgery.  All of these people hold a special place in
my heart.

Lou was taken to a shelter only 25 minutes away.  It is a wonderful old
farmhouse that houses many ferrets in special rooms just for them.  Some are
the personal pets of the shelter owner, some are available to adopt, and
others with terminal illnesses will remain there for the rest of their days
on Earth, being well cared for and heaped with love and attention.  Lou is
probably amazed to see so many critters that are like himself!  He also has
new canine and feline friends, so he will feel right at home.  He was
allowed to keep his cage so he can be comforted by the scents from home.

Lou is starting vitamin therapy and was going to get his first immunization
since kithood today.  When he is ready, he will have his adrenal surgery and
hopefully will recover to the picture of health, so that he will be
available for adoption to another private home, perhaps one with a little
boy to once again play hide and seek in blankets with.

Some of you have offered to make a donation for Lou's surgery and care.
Some have offered to do this in memory of Meltdown.  I am providing the name
and address of the shelter that is watching over him.

                      The Ferret Nook
                      PO Box 3
                      Cambridge, WI  53523-0003

I have a renewed appreciation for my membership among the wonderful caring
people on the FML.  I also have a much deeper appreciation to all the
shelter folks who do such a kindhearted service by taking in life's little
furry outcasts.  Where would these sweet creatures be without you?  Do
something kind for a fuzzy today and make a donation to your favorite
shelter, whether it be your time, supplies, or financial aid.  These folks
do so much good in a world full of too much sadness.

Thank you to all who cared about a little guy named Lou!

Gaye & The Weasel Women
Ferret Bueller & Houdini