From:
David Brombaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 22:21:51 -0800
I have 2 ferrets myself and recently adopted a 3rd unfixed male 6 months old
ferret.

He appeared to be sweet and calm for the hour we spent with him in the
shelter.  However on our way home, we stopped by Petco to get flea spray for
it, and suddenly he started biting my hand very hard.  Before he start
acting abnormal, we saw a big dog so we thought the dog scared it thus bite.
After we got home, I gave him a shower while he acts calm again.  However,
like about an hour after showering, I handled him a little(very gently) and
out of nowhere he bit my hand again.

Again, I'd like to clarify that it is not nip or play bite.  He just bite
and clamp his jaw on our hand and we need to force his mouth open to get our
hands/fingers back.  Not to mention it is very painful and cause bleeding.

We do not want to give it up yet, however at this point I am out of idea
what to do.  I don't want to handle him with gloves cause I don't think it
will help him to trust human, yet risking getting seriously bitten is not my
choice neither, especially since both me and my husband already lost some
uses of our fingers due to his bites.

We are in need of advises, suggestions and other people's experiences.  I am
also wonder if neutering him is going to take away some aggression.

I'd appreciate any reply to this post.  My email address is
[log in to unmask] (in case it is not shown, this is my first time using
FML).  Please email me or reply here.

Thanks a lot in advance and for reading my long post.

Joyce