From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 20:57:02 -0800
Lynn Mc. here.  I'm hoping to start a Seattle club.  Potential name (full
credit to Lisa) might be SNIFF, Sane Normal Intelligent Ferret Fanciers
(though the I could be something else, like idealistic??!) Anyway.  My dream
is a democratic, team-based, friendly, unified group placing the welfare of
ferrets above egos & dollars.  A group that neither preaches nor practices
primadonism (& likes to make up words, too!).

First business might be choosing a handful of local vets to support so that
increased ferret business could make keeping up-to-date worthwhile to them;
& in order to track service & provide consistent feedback.  Specific,
responsible, local pet stores could be supported in exchange for a club
discount.  A good, local newsletter (non-existent here) could be sent beyond
the club to vets & stores.  People in the club could take on different
endeavors (my hand's up for the newsletter!).  Meetings could be
informational, fun, & balanced with social outings.  The group, all voices
equal, could name & create itself.  Well-researched ferret info could be
offered politely & club members treated like gold, or have fees returned.

"I" for idealistic?  Hopefully not too!  Dues could be cheap, $5/10 as there
would be no national organization to feed.  A national affiliation MIGHT
follow the laying of a strong, local base.  Free community halls are
available... the main expense would be a newsletter in the beginning.

WHY A NEW CLUB?  Tho I've tried darn hard to join in existing clubs I've
encountered inflated egos, extremist attitudes, rabid preaching, nat'l
orientation (incl. nasty, backbiting politics about people & groups not
met), lack of integrity & ethics, a nat'l-oriented publication, & plain ole
meanspiritedness.  I asked, what does that have to do with fun-loving,
sweet-hearted innocent ferrets?  Am I getting the support I need locally to
support these marvelous, challenging animals?  Nothing & no.

THE SEATTLE SHOW.  I won't be there as I've been banned (also, I assume from
the club I paid $30 to join, plus $12 for a book to use in show training).
A person had posted here about the "flue" a bunch of her ferrets had at
once, & I wrote her it sounded like ECE (as did others who posted to the
FML).  Turned out she'd adopted a ferret from the place we did (PA breeder)
when we got ECE, and she got ECE following the adoption.  Coincidence?
Possibly.  I made no assumptions or conclusions, but thought this woman and
her vet should have this info -- would have felt irresponsible if I hadn't!
The result was a message that I was verging on "slander", to "watch my
step", & another e-mail from the Seattle club that I was "personea non
gratis" - sounds more like a flower than Latin - at the show, threatening a
lawsuit if I didn't "cease slandering"!

THE CLUB AND DISTEMPER SHOTS.  This club that adopted the above-mentioned
kit to me told me she needed one more distemper shot.  But when I looked at
the records they showed the little gal had had only one distemper shot, and
this 4 months prior to the adoption.  I was INFORMED she HAD had a second
shot (and just supposed to believe it, I guess) and anyway, I was TOLD, she
just needed ONE MORE SHOT.  Then I was hung up on and so much for the $30
club fees I'd paid.  A kit needs a series of three distemper shots during
the first year no more than one month apart, but, no, she insisted, against
the advice of many vets and the Ferret FAQ, they don't have to be given one
after the other that way.

Now, I've made many mistakes, but no mistake was even considered though I
would have happily accepted an admission.  It's not easy to run a shelter
(if shipping ferrets from the East Coast by plane for adoption is running a
shelter) but to take cop an attitute & jeaporidize the life of a ferret is
no less than unconscionable.  Am I angry?  Indeed I am.  I've been treated
grossly unfairly.  But it's the ferrets who really don't deserve it.  The
"club" had only 1 meeting in a year anyway, no social events, newsletter,
discounts, though all were promised with the collected fee.  (A breeding
operation & show has been organized though!) I've written a long complaint
voicing concerns and requesting $ back (incl. for the extra 2 shots & show
book), but haven't heard a peep.

As for ECE AND THE SEATTLE SHOW, the woman I wrote about her "flue" told me
if I was concerned about ECE than I could stay home cause she was bringing
nine ferrets.  My concern is not for myself.  Our ferrets had ECE.  My
concern is for a local population that is virtually in-the-dark about this
awful disease, and hasn't been warned in any way, except by those of us NOT
involved, not collecting fees, etc.  Am I sorry not to go?  In a way.  But
it's a show I'd rather not patronize anyway.  I'm not against shows, but I
am concerned about ECE and have contacted 10 local vets who see ferrets.
Three have seen any cases at all, though not many cases, but no one has seen
a case in the last few months.  Many vets and their recepionists haven't
heard of ECE, let alone non-internet local ferret people.  I will call the
same vets the week after the show, & hopefully no ferrets will get sick, or
die.  I've communicated all this to the show/club, & asked that ECE flyers
be handed out at the door.  TL Eckart (now there's a woman who cares about
ferrets!) offered her info that was written up in the Feb. 3-4 FML, #1834,
entitled ECE and SHOWS .  Anyone going ought to be familiar with that info.

I'm not interested in retaliation or backbiting, but have a big-wholehearted
love and concern for ferrets.  Anyone interested in a fun, kind,
lighthearted, responsible club, drop an e-mail or call (206) 938-8183.  You
won't find my phone blocks your calls if your number doesn't come up on a
caller ID, as some clubs do, and you'll get a friendly voice, and no
preaching or pitches, I promise!  Some have expressed interest and it will
take interest and work to make it fly.  But it could be really worth it, for
our fuzzies and us.

Those going to the show, have fun and please take precautions against ECE.
As one local vet put it, there's just no way of knowing what the risk will
be.  Those not going drop a line if you wish.  I'm meeting some ferret
people I haven't met before and we'll be doing something fun and ferrety
ourselves this weekend.

Hugs and Ferret Kisses to All,

Lynn & the Gang of Eight FuzLuvBeans (and Schroedee and Squeek in spirit)