From:
Tedd McKeever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:20:02 -0700
 From: Sandy McKeever <[log in to unmask]>

I just recently subcribed to the FML so I'm very new to this and just want
to say, through the internet I have found so much great information and met
so many wonderful people who love ferrets.  Not to mention, enjoying the FML
enormously.  I also want to say I'm a big fan of Capt.  Casey of the F.L.O.
(Go get'em Capt.  Casey!!!)

I am proudly owned by 2 fuzzies, Benny 'Da Weasle Gambini and his associate
Fizzgig 'Fizzy the Inforcer', both are sweet little guys who you can't help
but fall in love with, which my whole family has.  And this brings me to
write this.  First let me explain, loving these two sweethearts as I do, I
know I would be devastated if anything ever happened to them.  If either
ever became lost, I would keep searching and no matter how much time passed,
still, I would hope I could find them or who-ever did and took care of them.
So, reluctantly, I'm going to give this one last shot and, as nasty as this
may sound, I hope I really don't find the first owner.  For as I said, we
have grown to love 'Benny' very, very much!

**********************Here's my story*************************

My family and I now live in Arizona, but a year and 8 months ago we lived in
the Hunter/Tannersville area of the Catskill Mts.  in New York, a popular
tourist area in the summer and ski resort in the winter.  Around June 14,
1995 my kids were 'camping out' in our neighbor's back yard.  That morning
there was a bad thunderstorm and one of my daughters saw somthing run into
our neighbor's tool shed.  Being curious, as all kids are, the four decided
to investigate and found a very cold, frightened, and hungry ferret.
Getting a cage from our neighbor, they brought him home and their father and
I were awaken the the usual clamors of, "can we keep it Mom?  Please, Dad,
we'll take good care of it!" At first we had no idea of how take care of a
ferret, but rest assured we quickly learned.  We went to the pet store that
day and bought a book on the care of ferrets, got ferretone, a food and
water dish, and, of course, food.  Also, we placed an ad in the local paper
and put fliers up all over town, hoping that we would be able to reunite the
ferret and his owner.  I feel that his owner might have been a tourist to
the area and was not able to stay and hunt for him.  And I cannot lie, the
more time went by, the more we hoped we wouldn't find the ferret's owner,
still we did try.  After 30 days, our neighbor, who was the local Justice of
the Peace, said, legally, we could claim him since no one had come forth.
We named him Benny 'Da Weasle' Gambini, after all he is from NY, and have
taken very loving care of Benny ever-since.

I know anyone reading this thinks I'm wacky, but as I said, I just feel it's
the right thing to do, giving it one more shot.  For, to me, the worse thing
to ever go through is the losing of a beloved pet.  Not knowing whatever
happened, if they found another loving home or something terrible befalling
them.  I also know this goes out all across the country to many who love
ferts just as much as I have grown to love them.  We all have read and heard
of those incredible journeys of dogs and cats, after long lengths of time
finding their way home over fantastic distances, so why not ferts?

****************Description of the ferret at the time found****************

- Found in the Hunter/Tannersville area of the Catskill Mountains in New
  York on or around the 14th of June 1995.
- A full grown neutered and desecented sable male wearing a pink flea collar.
  At this time weighs 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs.
- The tale-tell two tattooed blue dots on right ear, one on back and one on
  front.  (I read somewhere on the internet those marks meant a Marshall
  Farms of upper New York kit.)
- Very mellow little guy who was trained by his original owner to answer to
  a squeaky toy.  Unusually quiet, does not make a lot of sound, not even
  dooks, has never been heard clucking, chittering, chuckling, or chittering,
  at least not since we found him.  Does make a quiet 'heeerrrreennt' sound
  when playing.  Not a real active little guy, not like Fizzy, but then
  again Fizzy is still a baby.

Fuzzy Thanks to All:
Sandy