From:
"Ashley B. Bowen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:59:39 -0500
Well, I have to chuck in my .02 on these two topics...

1. Midwest cat/ferret playpens...

Ok, so this isn't *that* big of a deal, but after hearing some of the
stories about poor little fuzz-butts hurting them selves on the Midwest
cages, I thought I'd give ya an idea...

So, your looking for a cage, right?
Your don't want to burn a hold in your wallet, right?
You (of course) want a "ferret-friendly" cage, right?
Well, here's the answer...
SAFEGUARD CAGES...

The one that I have is 2.5 levels, it comes w/ ramps, drop pan, plenty of
room for hammocks, tubes, etc, (lots of room for excersise) but not to high
off the ground to hurt ferrets, and best of all, it's only about 60.00!  I
love it, it's easy to clean, easily excessable... if you want the address to
get a free catologe, just send me an e-mail, 'cause I know BIG's policy on
addresses, and phone #'s :) Oh yeah, I don't work for them or anything,
(like they'd hire a 14 year old <GGG>)

2. "Gasp, no not that... PETSTORE HORROR STORIES!!!!!!!"
Ok, I was at this petstore in Napels, Fla, can't remember the name, it was
part of a chain tho.  And most of the animals were poorly housed when I
went.  The dogs were in small cages, with poop everywhere, cats the same,
all the rodents, same too.  As you can imagen, it smelled awful... Anyways,
lo and behold, they had ferrets.  I went in by my self.  It was just about 1
or 2 weeks after I had joined the FML, but I think that there was some kind
of debate going around about something like this petstore debate.  So, I
kinda knew what kind of stuff ferrets should be housed in.  Well, these
ferrets were in a way small aquarium, with (gasp) ceder shavings, no toys,
water bottles, or anything.  So, I politley asked the person there where the
ferrets were from, how old they were, and stuff like that.  The lady just
egnored me, and I asked again.  She said something like "why do you care",
or something like that.  Sooo, in walked my dad, he's a vet.  He was
appauled, and asked to speak to the manager...

Anyways, I went back, last November, and went in the store again.
Apparently they had gotten many complaints from the public, and from animal
control.  Well, the whole store was changed, and now they only sell fish,
rodents, and a few reptiles and birds, all in much better housing... I asked
about the ferrets, and they explained that they didn't carry them anymore,
and gave me the name of a ferret *shelter* in Fla!  So, the point is, if
their is a petstore that is 'abusing' their animals, call 'em up, and give
'em a piece of your 'animal loving' mind!

-That's all I got to say 'bout that.
Ashley:)
Chelsea+Kelsey Too!!!!!!

[Moderator's note: Phone numbers of companies are OK to post as long as it's
relevant and any connection to the company is disclosed.  It's private
numbers that I don't post without permission.  BIG]