Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:51:03 -0400
From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
The largest issue in the debate on the albino dilutes that I've not seen
clearly stated is the fact that there are TWO kinds of ferrets that are
white with red eyes.

Albinos - which contain NO pigment in their skin or in their genetic
background

Red eyed whites - which appear in all physical appearances to be albinos but
have pigment attached to their genes and means they can toss colored kits.

If you breed a true albino to a true albino, the litters are guaranteed to
be all albinos.  If you breed a REW to anything, including an albino, you
could have pigmented kits.

So far, I don't know of a proven way to tell albino from REW.  There is an
eye test that shows if a ferret has albino tendencies that a vet I know has
done.

There is also not a proven way to determine if a colored ferret contains
albino recessed in their makeup, other than breeding to see if a REW kit
ever pops out.  Both parents must have albino in their backgrounds to throw
a REW ferret.  Ferrets have such mixed backgrounds, especially here in the
states, that I think trying to predict the litter is a waste of time.  I've
figured out the best ways to increase the chances of certain colors being
born, but I gave up breeding for color LONG ago.

Pamela Troutman Grant / The Ferrets of Pet Pals & STAR*