Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:51:40 -0700
From:
>From:    Howard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fervac and the radical fringe
>I am in full agreement with Bill Killian

Words I never expected to see from Howard!

>that Solvay should be encouraged to "get with the program" and take its
>ferret-usable vaccine through the USDA testing and approval procedures.

Other than Solvay just selling its animal health care group to American Home
Products announced last September so they are out of the vet business so we
need to switch efforts to a new company.  Which though since on March 3
American Home Products resold Eclipseb and Fevaxo (feline) and Galaxyo
(canine) products we should work on Shering-Plough Animal Health.

We all learn new things all the time.

>I also think United should be not only thanked for leading the way, but
>also strongly encouraged to wake up, smell the coffee, examine the
>anecdotal and survey evidence, and try to get to the bottom of the reaction
>problem that seems to be a characteristic of its product.

Except for the characteristic part we completely agree.  We have had no
problems at all with Fervac-D.  We know a whole lot of others that have not
either.  There appear to be certain things that trigger it - notably tension
in the ferrets.  Vets that have just finished examining the ferret which
causes stress or extra vaccinations such as rabies (more stress) or shots
done by less experienced folk which is more stressful.

>Regarding Bill's comments on the Radical Fringe - (the "nasty politics that
>United Vaccines (as well as Marshall Farms and other companies) has had to
>endure from the radical fringe" - I can only say I am sure glad that BIG is
>here to protect us from THEM!  Thank goodness we don't have to worry about
>THEM infiltrating *our* FML.

Kind of hard to know how to respond here.  Yes BIG does keep most of the
worst out.  We feel sorry for him for having to endure the grief he gets
from them.

>From:    Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Not accurate statement!
>>I received a letter of the World Ferret Union asking ferret owners from
>>other country to write to California Assemblyman Jan Goldsmith to state
>>that ferrets do not and have never lived in the wild in our country.

>I am a little uncomfortable with that blanket statement as ferrets HAVE and
>DO live wild in our country....the Black-Footed Ferret.

Lets think about this a bit differently.  The bobcat lives wild in this
country but it isn't really a house tabby.  You are right we should be very
careful to show how different the domestic ferret - Mustella Furo is from
the Black Footed Ferret - Mustella Nigrippes.  Its really too bad they
"mis-named" the BFF.  If they had called it a polecat instead we'd be much
"safer".

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/