Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 11:07:59 -0400
From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
This is in response to Mandy's post yesterday regarding yogurt containers.
I know its about skunks, but we all have those little critters running
around our neighborhoods and as in Mandy's case, it can apply to our
ferrets too.

While I was an Animal Control Officer, I had on several occasions gotten
calls from people stating that a skunk was running around their neighborhood
with a "Yoplait" yogurt container stuck on their head.  It always seemd that
the way the Yoplait container is shaped, the skunk could stick its head
inside, but couldn't get it out again.  They evidently don't know enough to
use their front paws to free themselves.  (I'm not flaming the Yoplait
company, but thats the only container our skunk friends seemed to have
problems with).

What we would do is go out and locate the skunk.  Course, that wasn't too
difficult.  Then, cautiously, with thick leather animal handler gloves, I'd
hold the container and gently pull.  At that point, the skunk would feel
pressure on the container and start to back away.

(NOTE: I would not recommend this for just anyone to do.  Please contact
your local Animal Control Officer or Animal Rescue League.) They have the
necessary equipment to handle the job safely.

Its funny, every instance I thought for sure I'd get sprayed, but every time
it just seemed that the skunk would look back as if to say "thanks".  Course,
I didn't hang around too long to say you're welcome.

One of the best things we can do as consumers is contact these companies and
let them know the dangers of these containers.  Also, with many communities
now recycling, it makes it easy for these little guys to just help
themselves to these containers in your recycling containers.  No matter how
much we clean, they are still going to get into them.  I cut my containers
lengthwise in half.  That way there, I can still recycle the plastic and if
any of our local wild friends want to help themselves to any morsels left,
they can do it safely.

Also, if you buy cans of Coke, Pepsi, etc.  and you get that plastic six
pack holder, be sure to cut that into pieces.  I've seen birds like Canadian
Geese with them stuck around their necks.

Well enough recycling tips.  Now its back to ferret things.

Sharon Burbine &

Chi Chi, Lebby, Amber Rose, Sheba and Wolfie