From:
BEAU BANNERMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1992 03:05:12 -0500
Hi All...

Thought I would update those of you aware of the situation, and inform those
of you unaware (like the MA Carpet Shark.)

There is a House bill filed this year that, with finger's crossed and tons
of work, will legalize ferrets.  We almost did it last year, and a year wiser
is looks as though we can succeed.  Anyone interested in helping can contact
me via email.  We could really use some bodies at the Natural Resources
Hearing in which the bill's fate is decided.

Last year I secured the support of the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and
hope to have them by my side this year.  Also, this year I am working with the
pet industry in hopes that it will help the cause.

To clear up a few other things...  RI is a ferret-legal state.  Ferrets may not
be bought or sold there, but my be owned provided one gets a permit.  I
believe that the only qualification for such a permit is proof that no children
under the age of three (or some age close to that) are present in the
household.  Obviously this is a ludicrous provision and is likely
unconstitutional, but it will stay that way until someone does something
about it.

Also, I would beware of ANY information received from the Massachusetts
Ferret Rescue.  Bruce White runs it and he spoke at the hearing last year
in opposition of legalizing ferrets (must be nice to have a permit to own
a ferret, eh?)  He has really drawn the ire of ferret organizations across
the country.

If anyone would like more info I will do my best to help you out (I have
extremely limited time as school, ferret legalization, and the pursuit of
permanent employment for after graduation is awfully time consuming!)

Beau