From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 07:32:04 -0500
Good then bad again: Meltdown was doing well enough very late last night to
walk (slowly, of course) from the dining room down the hall to the bed room.
Then in th early morning she began looking worse again.  Don't know if she's
just too tired to walk, but suspect yet another stroke because she's awake
but does not respond to finger nail pinches of her toes (not something I'd
try for a light reason), and she's stopped eating and drinking again.  She's
in my sleeping shirt and bathrobe now and all she seems to want is contact
so somehow I'll figure out how to hold her and wash and change all at the
same time.  She's floppy, but she has absolutely NO indication of pain.  Her
only fussing is if I try to put her down at which point she whimpers.  You
know how it is -- she has defied all predictions so many times but right now
she seems so bad that I don't even dare hope.  If she is dying then she is
going comfortably.  I'd rather have the stress for us of having it this way
than have her endure even a shot to let her slepp through a mercy shot
because she IS comfortable.  We'll talk with her vet in about an hour and a
half; if Hanan has anything good worth trying then Steve will come back from
work and we'll try but Meltdown has been on borrowed time for a long, long
while and she has made the most of it.  She's very likely just had
everything get so bad that even she can't deal with it.

A gift to newbies: Meltdown is 8 and 1/2 and has had cardiomyopathy for over
a year and stage four since November.  Do not think that her situation
indicates that you should worry unreasonably about young ferrets; a very low
percentage of FML ferrets are ill at any time and most who are are old.

Don't think I'll pick up the phone this morning unless I screen the calls or
am waiting for an important one.  Blanche is stable and I don't think that
having be become aggravated with the conflict between Sister, Dad, and
Step-sister will do anything to amke Meltie's last hours better.

Poor Meltie just a bit ago had an accident in my shirt and could not even
move her face away.  I washed heer up and used the hair dier and towels for
her.  have to go wash myself now.  I thought i should finsh this first.

Sukie