From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:48:59 -0500
What a morning.  Meltdown had a strange day yesterday -- active, drinking
but not enough, and not eatting (not even banana which she loves beyond all
others).  We had to rehydrate her orally which she hated.  A bit before 6
this morning, Steve (who awakens before I do by a couple of hours) came in
with Meltdown who was flat-out, white, and cold to the touch even on her
trunk, but not shivering.  We figured it was her time and took her into bed
(later into clothing) and just held her.  Around 7 she started to improve!
By 8 we were at the vets'.  It looks like she probably had a bad bout of
fibrillation (also possible but less likely from the symptoms is another
stroke).  Basically it's the same sort of stuff we've seen before but in a
much more severe form.  Her's heart's very badly mishapen now from her
cardiomyopathy being so advanced but she still is enjoying life.  Yesterday
she even played gently in a bit of warm water at the end of the bathtub, in
a plastic bag, and in her crinkle sack.  Her got rehydrated sub-q.  Her dig
doses are reduced today in case there is any digitalis toxicity going on,
her furosemide doses are reduced to make up for her dehydration, and it's
going to be a tougher balancing act now than it's even been before.

In the meantime a new problem arose as far as my Step-Mom (actually
problems with conflicts among family members down there in relation to her
care) so I had over an hour of phone work getting feathers unruffled and
panic quieted and so on.  The tension levels just keep going up down there
and I know it's going to get worse before it gets completely better but so
far I've kept it from boiling over which is the last thing Blanche would
need for her blood pressure.  Thank goodness the folks involved trust me
enough to talk it out.

What a morning!!!!!  When everything looks stable enough I think I'll sit
down and watch a movie which always makes me cry and just let it out.  Till
then I'll deep breathe and catch some exercise as I can to release it.

Sukie