From:
"Drs. D & S" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:30:41 -0500
I am a ferret veterinarian that is unable to allow the comment on ferret
dentistry go without responding.( I am referring to the comments placed by
SunFerrets ).The individual stated that using an anesthetic for dental
cleaning in ferrets would not be recommended and urged owners to use a
dental scraper at home to keep up with dental health.  I do not know what
anesthesia protocol they are referring to, but I have never lost a ferret to
an anesthetic; I would only use isoflurane gas on a ferret however.  Perhaps
the author of the comment should inquire as to anesthetic type, rather than
condemn the whole concept of anesthesia.  A vet well-versed in ferret care
will have isoflurane and hopefully, a cardiac or respiratory monitor.
Ferrets are actually great anesthetic candidates, doing better than cats,
dogs, and humans.  Inquire about the type of anesthesia available before
choosing a ferret vet, and all should go well.

Why is anesthesia a benefit for dental care?  A dental tartar scraper will
make hundreds of tiny etchings on the enamel of the teeth; these grooves
then provide secure homes for bacterial colonies.  The result is a faster
return of tartar and decay.  This information has been available for years,
and this is why all dentists follow- up a scaling with a pumice polish to
smooth out those defects created by the scaling.  With a brief anesthetic,
your veterinarian can scale AND polish, and in addition, instead of cleaning
only the outside surface of the teeth, will be able to do a thorough dental
scale and polish on those other important surfaces.

Dental care is a critical part of ferret health, as dental disease can
shower the bloodstream with bacteria as the animal chews his/her dry food,
which then land in the kidneys and on the heart valves.  Dental disease is
one of the LEADING causes of kidney disease.  Don't neglect your ferret's
mouth, but do be sure your vet does ferret dentals as a regular part of
his/her daily practice.

Thanks for this opportunity to voice my thoughts on what I consider a
much-overlooked topic!