From:
M Dorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 13:38:11 -0500
Thankyou everyone for their prayers.  Well after two vet opinions & $700
worth of surgery we finally & happily brought Valentine home last night.
X-rays showed a huge "tumor" inside her abdomen that kept getting bigger as
more fluids were pumped in.  With almost 0% chance of her surviving we let
the vet go in & do exploratory surgery.  20 minutes later later she handed
me my baby still half asleep from the anesthesia & a new zipper all the way
down her belly.  The vet held out her hand & in it she had two of the
compressable type foam earplugs I use because I sleep days & work nights.
Its still touch & go as the concern is she will develope scar tissue in her
duodenum where the ear was lodged.  The other plug was just free floating
around in her stomach.  She ate ferret food this morning for the first time
in one month.  The vet said it was without a doubt a miracle that she
survived this & credited it to the liquid diet I had been feeding her.  She
said in most cases of obstuction she would have been dead 3 weeks ago.  She
did a great job & I intend on sending her flowers!!!!  BTW these earplugs
did not show up on previous X rays & she did have all of the signs of ECE.
I in no way blame the vet.  I blame myself for being ignorant enough to
leave my earplugs on the nightstand.  I am also glad to know that this house
is ECE FREE!!!!  I had felt all along that she could be an obtructed though
from all Ive heard about ECE & my other ferret Qpid never has been sick a
day.  Alot of things just didnt add up.  Anyway thanks again for all the
prayers & support.

Melony, Qpid & yes still Valentine Dorman