From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:37:26 +0000
Hi Everyone,

this is a letter I got from a little boy that Noni helped out a lot.  He
wanted to let everyone know how great she is.  He said for me to send it to
you, so it might help some other little fuzzy out.

Magnificent Mo1 Maggie
 -------

My name is Perry and here is my story about how my family and I battled my
paralysis and won.

Mom and Dad (Noni and Dave Clark) rescued me on December 13.  The place I
lived in was pretty bad.  Nobody spent time with me, they feed me real bad
food and let dogs play with me whenever.  Mom got me knowing I could come
down with ECE and she decided it was better than where I was.  By December
16 I had ECE pretty bad.  My weight went from 2.5 lbs to 1.2 lbs., I could
not eat or drink anything.  Mom and Dad would put food and water down my
throat and I wasn't very good about accepting it.  We went to the Vet's
daily and between him and my Mom they gave me shots and fluids all the time.
Looking back on it, I know that was the only thing that kept me alive.

On December 31, Mom woke up and began to cry because she noticed I was
paralyzed from the waist down.  By the time she got me to the Vet's, only 15
minutes away, I was paralyzed from the neck down.  I was even having trouble
holding my head up.  My Folks and the Vet were freaking out, I was lucky
that my Vet takes the wait and see attitude on most things, or I may be over
at Rainbow Bridge now instead of here writing my story.  Well, when we got
home, Mom was still freaking, but thanks to Dad1s help, she began some
resistance exercise on my legs.  Even though I could not move my joints,
they would take my stiff legs and move them up and down.  My Mom also made
me sit, which I could not do without her help, to eat.  By that night I had
lost control of my bladder, yes, Mom was crying again, as she tried to keep
me clean.

Well, on New Years afternoon, when it was time to eat, Mom put me in the
sitting position and let go, amazingly enough I was sitting by myself!  The
next day we went to the Vet and showed him my new trick!  Then Mom and Dad
decided to begin resistant exercises on my joints, even though it was
painful, we did them.  They would bend every joint so that it would not
stiffen up.  By the end of the week movement came back to my front legs.  I
was still real weak so I could not drag myself or anything.  Now Mom is
going crazy trying to decide what to do next, she knows Sports Medicine and
Adapted Physical Education.  Well, before I knew what was happening, I was
all wet!  Mom figured that I needed to move my legs in water exercises, as
this would stop some of the pain I felt and would get me to exercise on my
own.  After the water exercises everyday, I still had my resistance
exercises, which now included me trying to stand by myself.

After a week of me and Mom getting all wet, Mom decided this isn't working
the back legs as much as she wanted, so back to the drawing board.  During
this time I decided to have an allergic reaction to some medicine the vet
gave me to help me feel better, so what little weight I have gained I just
lost.  Mom and the vet pulled me off of ALL MEDS and Mom decided to try
herbs.  Well the herbs along with the Duck Soap, which Mom doesn't have to
force feed me any more, amazing things began to happen.  I was gaining
weight, and Mom decided the next phase of my treatment....MOUNTAIN CLIMBING!
Dad would pile pillows, blankets, any soft thing they could find on the
floor and I would have to climb over it too get too my food, this FORCED me
to use my back legs.

Now, I can stand by myself, and I have control of my bladder!!!  It is the
beginning of February and I am dragging myself and pooping everywhere!  Now
Mom and Dad are supporting me and making me walk, they are trying to make a
walker for me so I can walk by myself, but I showed them!  On February 13 I
decided to give Mom an early Valentines Day gift.  She go home from work,
and noticed poop on the floor, she gives me a hug and goes upstairs to get
changed.  Before she could come back downstairs I had made it all the way to
the top of the stairs and I am trying to do the happy dance.  I even
repeated this performance for Dad when he got home!  Even though I still
have my left leg stiff, I am getting all over the house by walking and not
dragging myself.

I have to thank Mom and Dad for standing by me, for Miss Margaret for
standing by Mom so she wasn't admitted to the funny farm, to Stephanie for
giving Mom some herb ideas, to Diana for the Chicken treats (they got me
eating solid food again) and all the toys she brought and to Miss Charlie
(My girlfriend) and Barney (Diana's kid) who stayed with us, they would play
with me and get me so mad I had to chase them.  I guess what I am trying to
say is I am glad nobody gave up, and according to the vet, who saw me walk
for the first time on Tuesday, I should be 100% better soon.  Even if I am
not I know my Mom and Dad and Miss Charlie will always love me and keep me
forever.  (See you other rescues guys, this is the way to stay at your
shelter) ;)

They always say if there is a will there is a way!

My hugs and prayers go to those that are sick, I know it's not fun.  And
special ferret kisses to those whose kids went to Rainbow Bridge.

Love and Ferret Kisses
Perry AKA Gimpy ;)