From:
Leonard Bottleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:14:12 -0800
I used to be a faithful reader of the FML, but our youngest ferret (Ariel)
was diagnoised with lymphoma a few months ago and all my extra time went
toward her care until her recent death.  It has barely been a month and our
very first ferret (Moki) suddenly started loosing weight and showing signs
of insulinoma.  She had a blood glucose level of 50 mg/dl even though she
had been fed AD soup shortly before.  She is 4.5 years old and less than a
month ago she was at her highest weight ever and had been much more
interactive and playful than she had been for a long time.  We vaccinated
her for rabies about a month ago and distemper less than a week ago.  I'm
afraid the stress of that may have brought this episode on.  She just got
her first dose of prednisone tonight.  I know this topic gets discussed a
lot, and I've read everything there is on the FAQ about insulinoma, but I'd
really appreciate any input from people that have been in similar
situations.  What response should I expect from the medication and how soon
and for how long?  Should we put her through surgery?  What kind of things
should we check out before we do if we do?  What kind of a response can we
expect from her after surgery?  PLEASE email me your thoughts, experiences,
and opinions.

Elayne and Leonard