From:
AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 02:33:35 -0500
Brian, it's great that you seem to be planning ahead.  Ferrets present a
challenge even if you only let them out a couple of hours a day.  I have
always let my critters roam the apt even when I am gone.  Ferret-proofing a
room, apt., or house is no easy task I imagine rooms and apts.  usually
present less challenges than an entire house.  If you search the ferret
databases I am sure you will find many informative and resourceful ways one
can accomplish this.  Even so, here are some general rules you may find
helpful:

1) Never underestimate the determination of a ferret.  When blocking
accesses use industrial strength methods, not flimsy tape or other
substandard medium.

2) Never underestimate the ingenuity of a NEW ferret.  Even though your room
may have been sufficiently protected for your existing ferrets, new
additions sometimes find a new way or place to go.  It is a good idea to
always treat new additions like a completely new ball park, supervising new
additions for extended periods prior to free roaming.

3) Never underestimate the speed of a ferret.  Sometimes, temporary
situations like unwrapping items, filling the tub or pail, some minor home
improvement, or that one time you don't put down the toilet lid or close the
window or door is all it takes to end in irrevocable tragedy.  Nails, tacks,
pins, plastic bits, chemicals, etc., often find their way down an unknowing
ferret with untoward results.

4) Never underestimate the fearlessness of ferrets.  Perhaps more ferrets
die from being crushed than from any other cause or disease.  Shoes and
ferrets do not get along [at least when they are worn].  Couches, chairs,
bedding, the rumpled shirt or blouse on the floor, can all be potential
death traps.

5) Never underestimate the flexibility of a ferret.  Ferrets are amazing
creatures.  They seem to share the physical abilities of a cockroach,
squeezing through seemingly impossible avenues of destruction.  When judging
whether a hole or access is large enough to protect, measure your ferret,
then divide by TWO.

6) Finally, Never put aside these rules for any reason.  Vigilence and
consistencey pays, complacency costs.  I hope this helps.  Above all, rule
#6 has help me avoid tragedies throughout the years.

best wishes
alphachi