From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:32:48 -0800
>From:    Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mo'  Maggie Answers
>William writes:
>>Anyone ever heard of a floating ferret??
>Yes.  Actually my boy Ollie floats around the tub during bath time.  It
>seems to put him in a zen state.

Virginia?  <grin>

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Russian for ferret and polecat
>Now I'm wondering - were they domestic ferrets or steppe polecats?

Most probably domestic.  We have Russian ferrets by way of Sweden.  Steppe
Polecats are not "bred" except in the case of the black footed ferret
program from what we know.  The Steppe Poley looks very similar to the BFF
and not so similar to the domestic.

>From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Poor Riki !
Go ahead and feed your ferret what he will eat.  Make sure he gets plenty of
ventilation - you are at a disadvantage there.

His weight loss is most probably because he is five.  Its an age when most
ferrets lose quite a bit of muscle mass.  he lower quality food is probably
contributing but a ferret will do far better eating bad food than eating no
food.  You might try fresh meat.  Getting more fat in the diet with enough
protein would be good.  Some folks worry about vitamin overload with too
much Linatone so you might try diluting the Linatone with another oil.  IT
will add fat to the diet.  You can also try supplements like NutriStat if
the appetite is dropping.

>From:    Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet store charging differently for each color/pattern!
>I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be mad, or just realize that pet stores want
>to make a profit and it's their right to make their profit as they see fit.

Its probably too silly to get mad over.  Just shrug.  If they were using
Marshall names for colors their Siamese is everyone else's chocolate.  A
slightly devious trait for Marshall or maybe's its distributers is that they
seem to send a higher proportion of plain sables to more rural areas where
there are fewer breeders and more exotic colors to areas with more breeders
to allow the petstores a better chance to compete.

>From:    Howard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Canadian Ferret Import Rules Eased

Thanks for reiterating what Sheena Staples announced a month or so ago.
That sure is good news especially if we start getting large ferret shows in
border areas.  You can find out more by contacting Sheena or any of the
Canadian Ferret groups.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Working on Legalizing Other Animals as Pets in CA
>Would it surprise you to know that NO domesticated animals are native to
>this country?  Dogs, cats, horses, goats, pigs, rabbits, etc., are
>domesticated animals, like the ferret, and all have thier origins, as does
>the ferret, in Europe and Asia.

Turkeys.  Skunks (controversial as to whether "truly" domestic though they
"have been" since about 1900 -
http://www.thepetchannel.com:80/tpc-cgi-bin/Forums/get/Responses/Pets -
      /11/2/1.html
Mink.  Slipping to the Southern continent that is not Europe or Asia:
llamas, alpacas, guanaco and vicuna.  Also thought cats were
Sudanese-Egyptian thus African.  Some claim Egyptian sources for ferrets but
that seems doubtful.  http://www.best.com/~sirlou/cathistory.html Dogs were
a part of American Indian culture as well weren't they?  At least in Mexico
http://www.sltrib.com:80/96/OCT/06/sat/22125119.htm

Not that we don't agree that you don't have time to spread yourself to other
species.  It would be best to be accurate.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]