From:
Jim March <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 19:30:39 -0800
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but has anyone "tracked"
fert cancers, especially adrenal, on an "owner by owner" basis?  In other
words, do we have any idea what the cancer rate is on a per-1000-fert basis,
and do we know if the odds of a particular fert getting adrenal disease
*rises* based on whether or not other household NON-RELATED ferts had such?

And can we find out?

Consider: Dayna recently took in two adrenal rescues with adrenal symptoms
at pretty much the same time - she claims it's strong evidence of teh
"environmental causes theory" of adrenal.  Another poster in today's FML
talked about being "dismayed" at having to fight a cancer in yet a third
furry family member, and many people talk about having multiple ill ferts
per family, it seems like.  Which is not a slam on anyone - I've lost Felix
to adrenal, and if there's *anything* I can do to avoid it in Mikey and
Hairy I'll do it, as long as it doesn't harm 'em.  If the odds of this sort
of thing (potential environmental/multiple ill per house) can be tracked, we
might get more of a clue as to potential environmental causes.

Right now there's a debate between the "Marshall is selling ferts with FUBAR
genetics" camp and the "environmental causes" group containing Mo'Bob, Dayna
and others.  I admit leaning towards the latter, but I'm no expert and won't
be offended at contrary evidence...what I really want is *evidence* either
way.

Does any exist, and can we get any that can be taken seriously in a
scientific sense?